Tennis Elbow Syndrome: All You Need To Know
Tennis elbow syndrome is a condition that affects the movement of your elbow due to repetitive motion of the arm and other causes. It affects about 1 to 3% of the population worldwide.
Are you experiencing pain and can’t move your elbow to perform daily life activities? Learn about tennis elbow symptoms and treatment options to make an informed decision in time.
What is tennis elbow syndrome?
Tennis elbow causes pain around the elbow that might also run along your forearm. The pain is caused due to an injury to the muscles surrounding the elbow.
As the name suggests, tennis elbow is caused by playing tennis and other sports that involve repetitive movement of the arm. Tennis elbow is also caused by the movements of arms at the workplace or house chores.
You can get rid of tennis elbow syndrome and strengthen your elbow muscles with proper care, treatment, and exercise. But if you continue ignoring the pain, the tennis elbow can last for years as the muscles and ligaments get damaged.
How do you get tennis elbow syndrome?
- Repetitive movement of the arm and elbow can cause tennis elbow. For example, if you play tennis or badminton, you move your arm in a specific manner. This can add stress to the elbow muscles and cause them to ache
- Injury in the elbow region that can damage the muscles
- Movement of arms at your workplace. Use of tools and instruments on a daily basis that adds pressure on your elbow can result in tennis elbow syndrome
Tennis elbow symptoms
- Pain on and around the elbow that moves towards the forearm as well
- Tingling sensation in the arm and elbow
- An electric shock-like feeling in the elbow
If you move your arms in a specific direction and experience pain and a numbing sensation around your elbow and forearm then it might be tennis elbow. It’s a good idea to consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment if the pain persists for more than 2 weeks.
Tennis elbow diagnosis
The diagnosis is made through physical examination. The doctor moves your elbow in all possible directions and looks for the symptoms. X-ray and other imaging tests are done to rule out other causes of elbow pain.
Once the diagnosis is made the doctor presents treatment options that can help you get better quickly.
Treatment for tennis elbow
You can practice a few home remedies if the pain isn’t much, but you are not comfortable moving your elbow. You can also try home remedies with medications to get rid of this condition soon.
- Apply a cold pack on the elbow for 20 to 25 minutes. The cold pack helps subside pain and inflammation (if any).
- Don’t move your elbow. Keep it in a resting position as much as possible.
- Find a comfortable sleeping position. Don’t sleep on your arm. Try to keep your aching arm on a soft pillow beside you.
- Take over-the-counter painkillers that will make your pain better.
Nerve flossing exercises are a great way to strengthen your muscles and make them more flexible. But it’s advised NOT to practice exercises on your own. Consult a physiotherapist who will guide you to the best set of movements based on your specific condition.
To reduce the pain, tingling, and numbness, your doctor might prescribe NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and corticosteroids. Muscle relaxants are often given to treat stiffness and pain.
The medications will reduce the pain but won’t treat the underlying issue. Let’s look into an alternative treatment that will not only subside the pain but also treat the underlying issue.
Laser pain therapy – Alternative treatment
Laser therapy for pain relief and healing is a proven therapy that is practised around the world to treat various neuromuscular illnesses successfully. A safe laser beam is directed on the injured/painful area to stimulate the natural healing mechanisms of the body.
In Pakistan, BioFlex Pakistan is a modern and trusted pain management clinic where laser pain therapy is used to undergo many repetitive strain injury treatments to treat various patients. This non-invasive procedure is done by experienced doctors who walk you through the treatment and make sure you get rid of pain after a few sessions.
Want to get rid of tennis elbow syndrome through laser pain therapy? Get laser therapy for tennis elbow, done at Bioflex Pakistan.