Migraines are the recurring, painful and severe type of headaches. These headaches occur due to the triggering factors resulting in prior signs and symptoms. Around 15-20% of the Pakistani population is affected by migraine. Migraine usually occurs at the age of 15-50 years. It mostly results in headaches on one side of the head. The headaches are preceded by an aura of different symptoms including auditory, visual, physical or psychological symptoms.
TYPES OF MIGRAINE:
Migraine is a condition which is classified into two types:
- Migraine with aura includes the following symptoms.
- Blind spots, jagged lines, flashing lights, sparkle, confused thoughts, difficulty in speech, unpleasant smell or stiff neck, shoulders, and limbs.
- Migraine without aura during which the person does not experience any warning signs before the severe headaches. Most of the people in Pakistan experience migraine without aura.
- Other kinds of migraine experienced by people include:
Menstrual migraine, chronic migraine, abdominal migraine, a hemiplegic migraine, migraine that occurs with brainstem aura.
SYMPTOMS EXPERIENCED DURING MIGRAINE ATTACK:
The symptoms of migraine can occur before, after, during or immediately before you experience a headache. The most common symptoms during migraine attack include:
- Pain on one side of the head
- Pulsing, throbbing or severe type of pain
- Enhanced pain during physical activities
- Enhanced sound and light sensitivity
- Temperature changes, sweating, diarrhea, stomach ache, and others
- Vision loss
- Numbness or loss of sensation on the face
- Visual and auditory disturbances
- Physiological and psychological disturbances
- Pins and needle sensation within the extremities
- Neck stiffness
- Mood swings, depression, and anxiety
According to the international headache society, the basic criteria to evaluate the proper diagnosis of migraine include:
✔ Five or more than five attacks of headache within 4hrs to three days
✔ Headaches occurring over one side of the head with pulsating, moderate to severe kind of pain
✔ Headaches that aggravate with the daily activities
✔ An additional symptom from any of the following like vomiting, nausea, sound or light sensitivity
✔ Along with these criteria, the doctors suggest different tests for evaluating a headache. These tests include MRI scans, CT scans, or EEG i.e. electroencephalography and spinal tap.
TRIGGERING FACTORS OR CAUSES OF MIGRAINE:
The exact cause of migraine is still unknown. It is assumed that abnormal brain activity results in the release of certain chemicals within the blood vessels that result in migraine and headaches. These chemicals include serotonin which results in an imbalance of brain chemicals that regulates the brain activity. Genetics can also be the cause of migraine. Other causative agents of migraine include:
✔ Hormonal changes in women especially during menstruation when there is an imbalance of estrogen hormone
✔ People with increased age tend to more likely to suffer from migraine
✔ Physical factors like insufficient sleep, tiredness, neck or shoulder tension, overexertion, jet lag, low blood sugar levels or poor posture can result in migraine
✔ Emotional disturbances like anxiety, stress, depression, shock or excitement.
✔ Dietary triggers like caffeine and alcohol result in a migraine. Foods such as cheese, chocolate, citrus fruits and foods with the inclusion of tyramine result in a migraine. Dehydration and irregular meals can also result in a migraine.
✔ Medicines like hormone replacement therapy, sleeping pills along with contraceptive pills can also result in a migraine.
✔ Environmental factors like strong fragrances, smoking, loud noises or flickering screens can also lead to migraine. Bright lights, temperature changes, and stuffed rooms are also triggering factors.
✔ Women are at a higher risk of developing migraines than males due to fluctuating hormonal levels.
There is no perfect cure for relieving migraine. Migraine treatment aims at preventing the full blow episode of headaches and aura. The migraine treatment involves lifestyle modifications like enough sleep, reduced stress, consuming enough amounts of water, avoiding the dietary triggering factors. Perform physical activities and consume special diets which are gluten-free.
If you are suffering from severe headaches then consult your doctor for further treatment in order to relieve symptoms. The treatment plan for migraine basically focuses on controlling the signs and symptoms of migraine. Take specific medications, and prevent yourself against the triggering factors leading to migraine.
SEVERAL MEDICATIONS: There are many medications which help in treating migraine:
- Over the counter medications like ibuprofen, naproxen, acetaminophen, and others. Painkillers like acetaminophen or caffeine with aspirin can also be effective in reducing the headaches associated with migraine.
- Other medicines are also used to treat the accompanying symptoms of migraine which include metoclopramide for treating vomiting and nausea
- Serotonin agonists for treating severe migraines or migraines which do not get treated with over the counter drugs
MIGRAINE AND HEADACHE TREATMENT WITH BioFlex:
The latest technology in the market like BioFlex lasers are highly effective and easy to use. These lasers transmit radiations which are non-toxic and non-invasive. BioFlex lasers are simpler to use with amazing results that helps in treating the painful symptoms of migraine attacks. The photon particles in the BioFlex lasers aids in accelerated healing.
This flexible treatment options aids in treating acute and chronic conditions. Migraine and headache treatment with BioFlex are highly acclaimed throughout the world. In order to have a proper diagnosis of migraine, it’s better to write down the symptoms that you experience during the headache. Consult your doctor and share those symptoms in order to reach the proper diagnosis.