How To Get Relief From Neck And Shoulder Pain Forever?
Let’s face a fact: Aching neck and shoulder pain can make your life miserable especially if it’s continuous, stabbing, and interfering with your daily life activities.
But you don’t have to live with it. With proper diagnosis, treatment, exercises, and remedies, you can get relief from neck and shoulder pain for sure.
Here’s the kicker:
Neck and shoulder pain can be caused by various neuromusculoskeletal issues. Just pay attention to what causes your neck and shoulder pain and follow proper medical treatment. Along with treatment prescribed by your doctor, you can also go for therapies and remedies, mentioned below, that will surely give you instant neck-shoulder pain relief.
Neck and Shoulder Pain Causes
Before heading towards the remedies/treatment, you should know the underlying cause of your neck and shoulder pain. If the cause is unknown, the treatment would definitely be less effective.
The causes of neck and shoulder pain include:
- Soft tissue injuries. If your neck and shoulder muscles, tendons, or ligaments are damaged then it causes continuous pain unless the injury is healed.
- Rotator cuff tear. This damages the 4 tendons on the top of your shoulder and causes neck and shoulder pain.
- Cervical osteoarthritis
- Whiplash. It’s a sudden injury to your neck or shoulder muscles, tendons, and ligaments. It can happen during sudden collisions or injuries during sports.
- Herniated disk. In this case, the cervical discs shrink, resulting in the movement of vertebrae down the spine.
- Wrong posture. Poor sitting positions, holding your neck down, and sitting in a slouching manner, can cause continuous neck and shoulder pain.
- Bad sleeping positions, use of too hard/too soft pillow, and sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress, can also cause neck and shoulder pain.
ALSO READ: DOES HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE CAUSE NECK PAIN?
5 Proven Ways to Get Relief From Neck Pain and Shoulder Pain
Firstly, you should consult the doctor and get a proper diagnosis and medical treatment. Alongside, you can try the following tried and tested ways to get rid of constant shoulder pain and alleviate neck pains as well.
Hot and cold treatment
Applying hot and cold compresses to the painful neck and shoulders can relieve the pain effectively, as well as provides neck cramp relief. You should start this right after you feel the pain.
- Apply an ice-cold towel to the shoulders and neck for 10 minutes. Repeat this 4 to 5 times a day.
- Then apply a hot pack to the neck and shoulders. You can purchase a hot pack gel and just microwave it before use. Repeat this 4 to 5 times a day as well.
This is one of the best treatments for stiff necks, it also helps reduce swelling and relieve pain almost instantly.
Take a break
If you play sports or work out then it’s better to stop and give your body some time to heal. Taking rest helps alleviate the pain and make your muscles relaxed.
Make sure you keep your neck and shoulder muscles relaxed and don’t overuse them when they’re hurting.
Massage is a great way to relieve neck and shoulder pain through reducing muscular tension. You should search for a professional person who knows how to massage the neck and shoulder to relieve pain.
Massage therapy can be done daily to alleviate pain by reducing muscle tension and overall stress.
Laser pain therapy
An advanced technique to vanish neck and shoulder pain is through low-level laser therapy. This therapy is performed by a doctor in his clinic where he uses a handheld device that emits a laser beam. This laser beam reduces pain, and inflammation, and promotes new cell growth and healing.
You might need more than one session to recover completely. But it’s safe and non-invasive with no side effects.
Want to know more? Click the link to see how laser pain therapy is a successful alternative for shoulder and neck pain treatment.
Neck and Shoulder Pain Exercises
Practicing shoulder and neck exercises for neck pain and shoulder pain is an effective treatment for muscle pain. But you should ask your doctor first if you have chronic neck and shoulder pain or pain due to bone problems.
Neck stretches are a great way to deal with neck pain and a stiff neck by reducing muscle tension and increasing blood flow.
- Sit straight and in a comfortable position, keeping your head and back in a line.
- Now move your face down in a way that the chin touches your neck. Remain in this position for 5 seconds.
- Now move your head upwards and see the ceiling. Keep in this position for another 5 seconds.
- Move your head to the left and then right. Make sure you don’t bend your neck in the process. You should do this position for 5 seconds as well.
These stretches can be done two times a day.
Shoulder stretch is a great exercise to relieve tension in the shoulder muscles. During the exercise make sure you keep yourself relaxed and in an up-straight position.
Levator scapula stretch
Levator scapula muscles are located on the back and either side of the neck. They help to move arm and shoulder bones. This stretch should be done if you have strained neck and shoulder muscles. It’s a great exercise to relieve back neck and shoulder pain.
All these exercises should be done under the supervision of your gym instructor or do these exercises with your exercise partner.
Shoulder and neck pain can interfere with your daily life activities as you remain in pain. But the good news is that along with proper treatment suggested by your doctor, you can try different remedies and therapies mentioned above on how to get rid of shoulder and neck pain fast.
Read above to know a few causes of neck and shoulder pain and how to get relief from this misery forever.